6/2/14

A long time ago, we used to be friends

The immortal
Fay Wray
I've been blogging again for about a month, and the little button that says "stats" says not many people have noticed. Not a surprise; I haven't made a big deal about it. But the other day it occurred to me that at least I could put a link at my old blog, which still gets regular traffic four years later, a fact which is kind of sweet in itself.

So, if you followed that link, hey! Good to see you. And if we're old friends, good to see you again. This is what I've been thinking about the world recently, which isn't a whole lot different from what it was then, except in the spots where it is.

I still think you're beating your head against the wall trying to get The Powers That Be to grant you the freedom you already own in your head, the freedom that you were born with – remember that one brilliant turn of phrase that summed it all up in 27 words? "All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Remembering that the word "men" in this context also includes women, the point is: You were born free. You don't need anyone's permission to be free. In fact, petitioning a government for your freedom, trusting a government with your freedom, is handing the chains to the slave master for him to outfit you properly.

Most of the posts here may sound pessimistic as I make observations about our government's descent into chaos and totalitarianism. Underlying it all, however, is an optimism that free men and women will continue to be free in spite of the state's most concerted efforts.

And I plan to keep ringing that bell of freedom every day at 13 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment